blue's blog

curated by katie mayer

June 24, 2011

Skinny on Skinny

Have you tried our Skinny Cotton?

Have you worked with cotton that is hard to knit? It hurts your hands and it doesn’t have any sproing (elasticity) at all, so your stitches are uneven. Our Skinny Cotton is very different — its soft and supple. Really!

Blue Sky Alpacas Skinny Cotton is 100% organic cotton, comes in sophisticated colors, shows great stitch definition, and feels wonderful to wear. I’ve knit our Skinny Cardigan and our Shawl Collar Vest. I wear them all the time. They are easy to wash with the extra bonus: no pilling!

We have lots of great patterns for Skinny Cotton.

Our new Shawl Collar Vest

Skinny Cardigan

Purl Dot Cardigan

And for crochet lovers:

Valerie’s Cardigan

We also have a few adorable free patterns for Skinny Cotton:

Simple Baby Hat

and Girl’s Skinny Tank

There are many wonderful designers creating with this yarn.

Erquy by Heather Dixon, Army of Knitters

Violet, also by Heather Dixon

Botanica Medallion Cardi by Shiri Mor in Vogue Knitting

Very Cherry by Alana Dakos, Never Not Knitting

Have I given you enough ideas?

A cotton sweater for cool summer nights sounds perfect to me. Nice and easy to knit beside the pool, even on a steamy day. You can look for me, I’ll be the one in the shade.

Keep on knitting,
Merri

8 Responses to “Skinny on Skinny”

1. June 27, 2011 at 4:28 pm Deanna says:

Love the examples that you have made from Skinny Cotton – I want to give it a try!

• July 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm merri says:

I hope you do, Deanna, you will love it!

2. June 27, 2011 at 11:43 pm Debra says:

OOOOO…very yummy looking – I really want to “touch” it and see how it feels in my hands and then make all the patterns shown! Love them!

3. June 29, 2011 at 12:28 pm Melody Bryan says:

Hi Merri – You have really tempted me with that new shawl collar vest pattern – is there a downloadable version? I must have it and I have been dying to try skinny cotton however I don’t have a very high opinion of cottons and the closest thing to cotton I would do is S&C Sweater which is really lovely. let me know about the pattern so I can get on order if need be. melody

• July 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm merri says:

Hi Melody:
      The shawl collar vest is not available as a PDF download. Do check with your LYS for a printed version.
      As you may know, S&C Sweater is a very different fiber than Skinny Cotton, so you will need to make some adjustments to the pattern for it to work with that yarn. Good luck!

4. July 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm Gladys says: